Drug Driving Solicitors Manchester
Have you been caught driving under the influence of drugs in Manchester or the surrounding area? If so then it is crucial that you respond quickly, and secure yourself representation from one of our expert, local solicitors.
At Hammond Trotter Solicitors, the leading drug driving specialist in the Manchester Area, we promise you these three things:
- We will deal with the case quick so as to put your mind at ease
- Make sure you have the best possible defence or mitigation to the drug driving charge
- Ensure you are our only client at court
Call us now on 0161 839 5117 for a free consultation, with one of our specialist drug driving defence solicitors, to discuss your case in greater detail.
What is Drug Driving?
If you are unfortunate enough to be charged, we understand that it puts your livelihood at stake and potentially your freedom. So, if you find yourself in this kind of situation, don’t hesitate, seek advice immediately from one of our specialist drug driving solicitors.
What happens if I get arrested for Drug Driving?
Most of the time positive test outcome for drug driving will occur in one of two places, the roadside or after being arrested at the police station.
We have provided a brief guide on what to expect and what to do before contacting a specialist drug driving solicitor below…
Drug Driving at the Roadside
- When driving, you are legally obligated to pull over as soon as it is safe, if directed to do so by a police officer. Failing to stop for a police officer is a criminal offence.
- If the police have ‘reasonable’ suspicion that you are under the influence of a drug, prescribed or otherwise, whilst driving, they do have the right to stop you.
- Once pulled over, the police officer MUST provide their reasons for doing so.
- If you are suspected of taking drugs (prescription or otherwise), the officer will carry out a FIT test (Field Impairment Test) or request a sample of saliva via a swab. If the test returns as positive, in either case, you will be arrested and most likely taken to the police station.
You call us now on 0161 839 5117 for a free expert consultation or ‘Request a call back’.
At the Police Station
In the event of being arrested for drug driving, you will be required to take a urine or blood test and the results of these will be admissible in your court case. (Failure to provide these specimens will often result in at a driving ban and fine at the very least).
The sample you provide will next be sent off for analysis, then you will be released and advised what date you must return to the police station, unless you are being charged or held for any other offence.
The Current Drug Driving Limits
Below are some of the limits for prescribed drugs:
- Clonazepam 50 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Diazepam 550 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Flunitrazepam 300 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Lorazepam 100 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Methadone 500 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Morphine 80 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Oxazepam 300 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Temazepam 1000 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
Below are some of the limits for illegal drugs:
- Benzoylecgonine 50 micrograms per 100ml of blood
- Cannabis 2 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Cocaine 10 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Ecstasy/MDMA 10 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Heroin & Diamorphine 5 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Ketamine 20 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- LSD 1 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
- Methylamphetamine 10 micrograms per 1 litre of blood
What are the Consequences of a Drug Driving Charge?
Being charged with drug driving brings with it a variety of other potential chargeable offences resulting in various penalties.
These penalties can range from:
- Disqualification starting at 12 months (or 36 months for the second relevant offence in 10 years).
- An Unlimited fine.
- Unpaid Work.
- Imprisonment for up to six months.
Don’t forget, in some circumstances the Courts may show leniency in your sentencing depending on how the facts and your circumstances are presented. Act quickly and secure the services of the Leading Drug Driving solicitors in Manchester & the North.